Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Fair weather, is fair!

Wow, what a wonderful stretch of sunny weather we are enjoying!

For the first time I can remember, we've had more sunny days than rainy days, the entire length of the Alaska State Fair. Our marvelous summer has meant for some stupendous entries in the Giant Vegetable competition this year too....

Here's a couple of them, from memory-

Cabbages: 125.9 pounds. No that is not a typo! Busts the world record which has been held for 20 years.
Watermelon: 145 pounds and change. Seriously, I just cannot get my mind around a melon that size, and I can't wait to go see it, lol
Pumpkin: 374 pounds. Now that may not seem all that large to folks in the L48, until you consider this.....the seed for that plant was up April 1st! Wow, 374 pounds of growth in just under five months!!
Brussel Sprouts: Over 28 pounds. I can't imagine this one either, since I have some whoppers in my own garden but nothing even close to that size!

And there are some massive rutabaga's, kohlrabi and so forth.....Here's the URL to the Alaska State Fair website, where you can cruise the vegetable entries-

http://www.alaskastatefair.org/

I hope to get over to the Fair this weekend, spend some time gawking at the veggies, check out all the hand made items, the 4-H entries. Might even wander over to the horse arena, but maybe not. And, of course, eat!! Very expensive to eat this year, but I have a few favorites I hope to sample again-like the deep fried cheesecake for one ;) Incredibly delicious with a Kaladi Brothers mocha! Most of my time will be spent at the rides, as ten year old boys aren't too interested in hand crafts, haha I buy one coffee cup per year at the Fair, a tradition, so I will be checking all the pottery booths for just the right one. But you will never find me in line for that ejector seat ride by the purple gate-those people are nuts!

5 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Sounds like a wonderful event! Have a great time

Unknown said...

I was at the fair Monday and seen a 12 pound puffball shroom!
Also really enjoyed the reptile exhibit.
Sadly I missed the Cavallo show with the stunt riders.

suvalley said...

No way! Twelve pounds?

Can you grow those things, and what for??

I remember happily stomping them though, haha

What a glorious day we are going to have, it's clear as can be at my house :)

AKPonyGirl said...

The world record cabbage is 127+ pounds. Amazing. It was grown on a pallet so they could move it.

Cavallo was AWESOME!!I think I saw it a dozen times. Each show was different, yet the same. As far as I know they will be back for next year. They had a blast (but were exhausted after 21 shows).

suvalley said...

Yes, they had the second round of giant vegetables in after I made the entry here....wow, 127 pounds flat. Just boggles the mind!

Of course, the leaves were droppy and wilted by the time I saw them yesterday but I was just astounded at the size of everything this year!

I missed the Cavallo show as well, I had wanted to make the 1 pm show but could not find the venue in time. Then, got hung up at the rides-wow, was that place crowded!

No coffee cups this year, darn it. But I did score on some T Shirts, and even bought myself a new horsey one since all my others are pretty much frayed rags after all these years, lol

I think I brought home some sunburn too :)