Saturday, March 26, 2011

About time to swap the slippers

For break up boots, yay! Alaskans will smile and folks reading here from the Lower 48 are no doubt puzzled, haha

What it means is: It's starting to get a little slushy during the day, which means we are easing into "breakup" season, which means-spring and summer are just around the corner now. This is a good thing, because I've had one heckuva month already!

Shortly after my last entry here, my son didn't feel well and I ended up running him into the clinic-diagnosis was pneumonia. (Eeks!) Right on the heels of that I got very sick myself, and ended up in the hospital for four days-influenza A. No kidding, the flu. Since I had never had the real flu, I had no idea just how sick I was....which was pretty bad. Luckily I did not develop pneumonia myself, but it's been a slow recovery for the past couple of weeks.

This doesn't mean that my spring seeding was forgotten-on the contrary! I have run over nearly 20 flats of annuals, and last weekend seeded 50 flats with veggies (with a good friends' valuable assistance). Cabbages are up, and the nasturtiums are starting to pop up. I have tomatoes and peppers and a couple other things showing as well and fairly soon I will be delivering those and seeding. I should plant this weekend (again!) but I am almost out of space. Five racks that will hold 16 flats each plus the table and I am out of room, haha!!! If think I may be able to juggle a few things around and get those specialty melons and squashes done just the same. In two weeks I have another huge plant to do which will include the pumpkins, sweet corn, and cucumbers.

Even if it's foggy, and still crunchy in the mornings, summer is on its way, yay!

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Glad your feelin' better!
and YAY for the coming summer