Monday, September 26, 2011

Harvest about complete



It's been a jam packed few weeks around the farm. It seems like there is never enough hours or energy in the days, but somehow I'm managing to get quite a bit done. First, the greenhouse is stripped. What a chore! I always forget that it's nearly as much work to empty it, as it is to fill and plant all those pots! But I had a bounty of peppers, which we enjoyed very much on the grill. The melons were gobbled up by all, and I have vowed to start them earlier next spring. I had enough cucumbers hidden in the foliage to make one small batch of pickles, after all the fresh eating we enjoyed-a nice surprise. The sweet corn had a few slightly unripe ears but was heavenly grilled in the husk. Several batches of zucchini relish were processed and I have three glass gallon jars of sauerkrout going in a cool dark spot in the garage.

Yesterday, the meat birds were processed at last. They came in at between 5 to nearly 8 pounds, very large birds! They are brining right now and will surely be a tasty meal over the winter. I learned a couple little tricks about how to properly bleed them out, and what some of the interior parts are. Previously, I have only done the "dirty work" so this was a great learning experience. My sis's good friend, Maria, was happy to take organs, heads, neck and feet. In her culture, nothing is wasted and that works for me.

Also this month, the abundant celery was processed-this time, into jars for winter use. My wonderful sister in law has been very enthusiastic about helping, and in return, I teach her about proper preparation and processing. It's a win win for both of us, I like to think. And it's been really nice to have company as the canners are monitored too. When it came time to butcher the moose the family had been blessed with, we all dashed over and worked to "get 'er done". Oh my, it was a lot! A 53 inch bull and a spike fork. I have the neck sections and am in the process of making moose stew to can in the next day or so. This year, I can add celery, potatoes, carrots and onions from my own garden-I'm very proud of that.

We were able to secure a large load of logs for firewood, so that worry has been laid to rest. With that, and what is already split and stacked under the wood shed, we're in fairly good shape for firewood. I have been enjoying the wood stove for almost three weeks now, and loving it. As the leaves continue to fall, we are on the last bit of "clean up before winter" outside stuff, with some work remaining at the barn. I also managed to find two more Orpington pullets, and they have settled in very well. This brings my total back up to eight-which is what I had last winter. My old Yokohama rooster finally passed away a couple weeks back, but his replacement (A buff Orpington) is maturing and has already been successfully fertilizing eggs. Just this weekend I found my first ever "bullseye" plain as day, on the yolk. This means I could have chicks this coming spring, yippee!

Also in the bird department, my four turkey chicks are a hoot! So aware, so curious, and friendly too. They are gaining some color now, and I think I have two toms and two hens. They will not reach the size of the broad breasted whites I have in with the layers, but that works for me-those two are getting pretty danged big! So big, in fact, that I was worried about finding a pot big enough to scald them in, haha

So that's what is happening around the home place. I have the stew to process, and spuds, and that will be it for canning this year.....whew!

No comments: