Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The growing season commences

Despite the miserably cold winter we're having with many days below zero and an embarrassment of snow, planting has commenced. Alaska gardeners have to be the most optimistic people in the world. Who else eagerly orders their seeds before the Christmas tree has been put away? Who else readies the indoor lights and planting media when there's barely six hours of daylight? 

This explains the shamble in the garage and pantry, as everything gets shuffled around to make room for the planting racks, and to accommodate good air flow. In just a few weeks, I will have every rack filled and the overhead lighting system running 15 hours a day, with a completely jam packed table underneath it. Which is why, as I look at the varieties of seeds on hand, I find myself dreaming about having a couple more racks, and another track light-lunacy and want can make a person goofy this time of year ;)

Oh heck, if I am dreaming big, I'll just include the big greenhouse, up and waiting for me to light the heat and fill it with starts......that can't come soon enough for me, but without it, I will be (as every year) beyond cramped for space!  With increasing sales come increasing needs-a challenge to be faced and overcome. I have faith we'll manage :)

No comments: