Saturday, March 21, 2009

Speaking of food-


The first batch of flats is germinated, and planted. About 16 I think, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli. Since I have them all squeezed onto one unit, that frees up space to do other things.....hm, maybe its time to dig around in my seed packets and see what comes up :)

The peppers are trying to set their fourth set of leaves, and seem very happy to be under the big light in the pantry. I am still disappointed with the Carmen's, which did not germinate very well. I may try some outside of the flat germinating with those too, and maybe I will get better results. I found a large packet from last year of marigolds-which typically will hold at least a year, so a sprinkling of those are on wet toweling and tucked away....I'll check signs of life tomorrow night.

It may be a pain, pricking loose those sprouted seeds and planting them individually, but it does mean that all the six packs and four packs are full. It's also a bit of a pain to count out the seeds but better to have just enough to fill the flats, than way too few or too many.

As far as temperature goes, its been below zero in the mornings, even if we have been treated to nearly a solid week of sunshine. Those that have heat, are moving into their greenhouses and I am envious of course. One of these days!

Better get back at it, those flats won't fill themselves!!

2 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Boy you have been busy! When will you have some "fruit" from your labors , do you get more than one "harvest" I know your growing season is a little limited as is ours . Corn for example I will start inside in April and the have corn to eat August .Otherwise starting it outside it doesn't have time before the first hard frost.

suvalley said...

fernvalley, these plantings are carefully timed to provide good sized starts for my friends' greenhouse. People start planting at different times, depending on their individual "micro" climates. For me, I hope to get plants into the ground between about May 15th and the end of the month. Other areas which are warmer, people can plant earlier.

I am usually eating salad goodies in June, most of the veggies will come to harvest stage in late July or August.

I am very careful to chose proven varieties of seeds that are short season and who perform well here as a rule.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a bean year!