Monday, October 5, 2009

Heckuva couple of weeks

As you can read from the obituary below, the family has suffered the loss of the matriarch....A sad event, but it has rewarded me with the opportunity to reconnect with family.

So a week or ten days was pretty much wrapped up, busy with out of town visitors and the nuts and bolts of personal effects and whatnot. Last Thursday, my MIL and her two sisters left for their homes in the L48, and I already miss them. I feel sad that it took Ruth's passing to bring everyone together, but I am fairly sure that is a common outcome these days-families are often spread across the US.

In between that, I had one empty van picked up, and another one dropped off. That too, has turned into a challenge when the hay was not suitable for a number of the purchasers. This has meant finding other buyers, and starting a list for a van to follow in November. There is already one ordered for October too of course. So far, I have managed to move nearly all the hay, but the weather is not co-operating very well with plenty of rain showers lately.

Add in that a new chicken coop is being built-which has taken way longer than it should have due to my miscommunication about materials. So there has been additional delay, all my fault. This morning I let the contractor know I needed to get the barn roof extended asap....it's just too blasted wet there at the barn for my liking. Besides, it has lead to some hoof issues that I can't seem to get a handle on since it's too wet and boggy.

Complicating things, the mare has turned up extremely lame. It has been narrowed down to what looks like a puncture wound on the fetlock, with swelling up the cannon. She is about impossible to handle since it's so sore, so I have called in professional help for this one. Hopefully I will know more about this later on today.

Still trying to get things canned up, but I find myself with little energy after attending to everything else. This weekend I will make a good stab at getting the spuds done up I hope.

It just dawned on me, I need to get new snow tires. Rats! LOL, oh well, studded tires are the way to go here, and I won't be without them :)

No comments: