Thursday, October 29, 2009

I have been remiss!

Gosh it has been a while since I posted, I just realized.

I confess, I have joined Facebook. I am still figuring it out, of course, but have become enchanted with Farmville ;) Those of you who play, understand just how addictive it is, lol I can sure see the attraction with all the games and whatnot they have there.


On the home front, we are ready for snow. Our wonderful month of October, with warmer than average temperatures, has been a gift to us all. It's also helped give business a little boost too, with contractors still digging septics. I am thinking I will be taking part of my vacation here over the next couple of weeks, which means I will be on my own here at work for five months. Seriously not looking forward to that, I never do. It's nice having someone here, even if I don't talk to my driver nonstop all day. And it's nice not having to deal with deliveries too of course. Over the years I have gotten firmer about not making deliveries when road conditions are iffy at best, and most of my (whining all the way!) customers have come to accept this. Deliveries have always been at my discretion in the winter, but for years I put my life on the line for my regular guys, because I knew they depended on this service we provide. Over the last three or four years, with the explosive growth out here in the Valley, it just isn't as safe as it once was, and I have had a number of very close calls.

The horses are good, well fuzzed, and relatively happy. The chickens seem to have accepted their new jail (aka the new chicken coop) very well, although I am not getting eggs as yet. When my hub gets home, he needs to rig up the heat lamp and put everything on a timer. For right now, no heat and the light is on only about 12 hours a day-not enough for egg production.

I also made some changes in how I am handling the hay vans. People are getting very lax about picking up their hay in a timely manner and the extra time involved is becoming a problem on my end. When it takes six or seven weeks to completely pay off a van....well, it's way too long and it has to stop. So, that change takes place after the first of the year. I figured out that I have worked at something, every single weekend, for over four months now. And, I am spending two weekends getting hay offloaded for each van. Call me unreasonable, but it had to change. Everything else was suffering at home.

I also started writing. Yeah, yeah, I know, I am wordy enough-but this idea has been percolating in the back of my mind for a while, so I decided to just go ahead and start putting it down. The fictional story line is seemingly evolving on its own, and the words just tumble on out when I sit at the keyboard, so why not? I have a long way to go yet, of course, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

Still waiting on snow here, and this morning it was 20 degrees at home, under clear starry skies. A beautiful morning, actually, and it was great not to have to bundle up into winter boots and coat to feed, in October!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So, when do the rest of us get to read your story?
I have been thinking of writing also, already have a book title....The Adventures of Jasmine, life and times behind the eyes of an Arab.
Can you imagine?!