Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Events conspire

to heighten awareness.


This past Sunday I spent seeding the first flats of the growing season. It sure lifts a gardeners' spirits to get the hands dirty, and smell the wonderful aroma of moist growing media. I also devoted some time to placing all my seeds in order, in loose categories, and into plastic boxes. Naturally, I discovered I didn't have enough of a couple items, and way too much of a few others-but that's okay, at least I know what I have, and can find it too! Previously, the seeds were scattered between a number of small cardboard boxes which made it easy to overlook things. I also worked on the planting schedule and boy, am I in for a real challenge. In about two weeks I am going to be full up...and scrambling for more space.

Monday evening I discovered that an armed break in occurred just a few blocks from my home, during the day on Sunday. So while I was happily filling, wetting, and seeding those flats, a young girl was sitting terrified, tied up, while two armed men robbed the house.

Sadly, no one knew what had happened or noticed anything amiss. I made phone calls to neighbors and related what had happened. Half are firmly in the "no big deal" camp due to the residence being known as a "drug house" because the owner was busted for pot nearly 20 years ago. The other half are pretty unnerved about it, like I am.

It meant a stern talk with my son about never, ever, opening the door for someone he does not know, period. It scared him a little, and that's probably a good thing, really. He's pretty naive about life in general, and while I would wish for him to remain free from the risks of the world, I know it's not a reasonable thing. It could have been us, since these armed home invasions are happening.

Of course this brings up something that has been bothering me a little bit lately. And that is: Why are these crimes not being reported? Because they are not. If you were basing your assumptions about crime in my area on the Troopers' Public Information Office press releases, or what is mentioned in the local paper, you'd think.....well, they are catching drunk drivers, serving warrants, and responding to accidents and civil matters. But you aren't reading about the meth labs, drug deals, marijuana grow operations that used to be so much in the news. It has pretty much disappeared from public view.

Which would lead a skeptic to conclude that someone (or several someones) have decided to scrub the news....or, at the very least, not let on just how bad things are out there.

I am not sure I want to know.

No comments: