Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.....

While the local goat world awaits Heather Fair's action (if any) about the small claims suit filed against her, life has ramped up into overdrive for me.

Remind me why I do this?

I am up to my elbows in growing mixes, starts, germinating seeds, and shuffling flats as fast as I can to make room for more. Eight different types of cucumbers started-and that's a lot! Summer squashes get seeded this coming weekend, and I have six varieties of those alone. After that it's into the lettuces....and so on and so forth.

I had near complete "crop failure" on a couple things, due to how I attempted to germinate the seeds. Not one to repeat the mistake, I have resorted to broad casting seed thickly, then pricking out the starts and planting those directly. Makes for completely full flats which is what I need to deliver. It actually saves me more time than it takes, which is always helpful.

The garage, kindly serving as my indoor greenhouse, is completely thrashed. Sigh. Flats and boxes and bales of ProMix, seed packets, gloves, watering cans, and so on are piled everywhere. I resolve to straighten it out this weekend, or I will be doomed to overlook something critically important, for sure. My wonderful, tolerant husband is thinking of making a plastic sheeted wall for one side of the garage, so I can use that as well. I've seen it done here before so I know it's possible.

Meanwhile, I am trying to figure out how to get a little heat into my own greenhouse, without breaking the bank account. I am not so sure it can be done on my "cheap beer" budget, lol

No comments: