Monday, September 22, 2008

Fall chores

Gosh I swear I don't know where the weekend went! Spent nearly all day Saturday at work, unloading hay-and just had to have Sunday for what needed doing there.

So I got a fairly early start, and with my sons' help, we managed to pretty much strip the garden out. The only things left standing are the half a dozen brussel sprouts which I happen to know can stand a light frost-and frost it did! Boy what a sodden mess, pulling up everything and getting it over to the compost area, wow. We were both soaked and muddy in nothing flat, lol I found about another dozen or so largish zucchini, and picked the last little bit of broccoli and I found some sweet peas still hanging on also. I pulled what remained of the beets too, but was disappointed that I found no more pumpkins, darn it. Of course I did not find out until late in the season that I was supposed to pinch off the vines-but oh well, live and learn!

Just after we got all the produce shuffled to the house, we propped open the gate and the chickens had a great time, going over the entire garden. Heaven knows what they found edible, but they must have for the amount of time they spent in there. Next up was working on the firewood pile. My husband had spent an hour or so earlier, cutting to length so I ran the splitter while my son stacked. The sun was actually out and it was fairly pleasant, if cool. We got about three quarters of the way done and I happened to notice that the hony and his princess were both laying down in the barn. Because of their size, they fit comfortably and we cozied up in the sun....the hony facing it and the princess with her back to the panel.

About ten minutes later I glanced over to check on them, and saw the princess having what I first thought were dreams-she was twitching her legs. Then, as I was watching, I saw her head start to move, and then the rest of her and I thought: Ut oh! Something is wrong! I watched for about another ten seconds and it continued to increase in activity and I stopped what I was doing, motioning to my husband to look. (He of course, paid no attention) After about another minute with no let up I am now concerned there is a serious problem (seizure, maybe? colic? or?) and I convince my hub to shut down the splitter and we dash over....and rouse the two to their feet.

I am abashed to admit I over reacted ;) Not 30 minutes later the owner happened to drop by for a visit and much humor was made over the princess' *normal* sleep pattern. Apparantly she even whinnies in her sleep! This I can't wait to see for myself, haha....but I am sure sorry I woke everyone up from their beauty nap!

From there I got a message about potato picking so even with guests showing up within the hour I headed out to the neighbors to help them get the crop up. Four or five different varieties, all organic too, it was a good crop and I think they got about 2500 pounds or so. I managed to pick around 8 five gallon buckets before I had to head home and play hostess. (And I won't describe the totally bogus "I should have been a blond" boner I managed to pull getting off the field either, but trust me, it wasn't my finest moment ;))

Today, I am back at work with more people slated to arrive to get their hay. If the weather co-operates of course, always an issue. It's been very busy at home since my husband got in, we've barely had a moment to talk that isn't on the phone. Such is life when it's fall, trying to cram in everything all at once. Most important our home list is getting the NG hooked up so I can get to canning, and soon!

No comments: