Monday, September 29, 2008

A productive weekend!

Gosh it was a pure delight to have two sunny (now three!) days in a row, wow! I did not have enough time to enjoy being outside in it as much as I would have liked-was rather too busy in the kitchen this weekend.

Well, the tomatoes are finally gone from the freezer, cooked down into a wonderful italian sauce for quick spaghetti dinners-it just took hours to cook them soft, then run it all through the spiffy KitchenAid juicer, and thence into a large pot to reduce. Reducing took about 7 hours, and the canning another two, but I think it will be worth it :)

On Saturday, my wonderful neighbor dropped by with the potatoes-including two new varieties I haven't tried before. Unfortunately the name escapes me on the one-very unique looking, rather like ginger root of all things-but supposedly very flavorful. While I was busy with the tomatoes, we got started on the moose scraps, and on Sunday we did up 14 quarts of savory moose stew-and hope to get another 14 quarts done this evening. Over the next week I will be trying to get one batch of spuds canned every evening....lots of cleaning and chopping ahead for me ;)

For outdoor chores, the firewood project is done done done, at last. My poor husband has worked at this for months, but we should have plenty to spare all winter long. I am not sure how many cords are now split and stacked, but it's a bunch! My son, who does not really like chores (how many kids do? lol) will tell you straight up he does not like doing firewood-but he sure appreciates being warm! He's very good about helping me stock the wood stove too, another plus.

The chickens are laying eggs, but I sure wish they'd find another spot to roost. Sigh. No arguing with chickens, they will roost where they chose and that's that. This week I need to get them a heated water bowl, and also more wire so we can get them penned in a little better. To my neighbors within ear shot-I apologize that I have one rooster that insists on crowing at six am-when it's still dark! I swear I do not know what his problem is-I simply must have a light on in the barn, darn it! The hens within reach are getting better and better about their morning strokes and pets, and each evening they come to their stall as soon as they hear my voice.

The hony and his princess are doing very well, the hony's mystery diarrhea has cleared up, hopefully for good. Next week is vet visit, let's hope a couple simple tests will reveal what his problem is for sure, so I can accomodate his disgestive tract without upset. All I have done is cut out his grain completely, and upped his hay considerably....he's putting on a little additional weight and looks just right for heading into winter-even has a layer of fat now. I am hopeful this will help him cope with the cold, as he has previously been very sensitive to anything under about 40 degrees. And yet, it's been 27, 28 degrees in the morning when I go to feed, and so far-no shivering.

Of course everyone is a muddy mess....day after day of wet and rainy, it was bound to happen. If I can get a handle on the canning this week, I plan on spending some hours doing some intense grooming-they all need it, lol

No comments: