Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Giving thanks

It's a shame that it takes a recognized holiday to be reminded of our blessings. This coming Thursday would be a good day to take a few minutes to revisit the positive aspects of our lives, and in that spirit-I offer the following lengthy list :)

In no particular order:

I am thankful I have found the love of my life, and that we are forging a future together. For over ten years, he has filled the emptiness I did not realize I carried within me. Within his arms, I am complete and sheltered and safe. It is more than I ever had, and I cherish the man.

I am thankful I have a quirky, funny, creative, and brave young son. He is much more competent than I was at that age, but still needs daily reminders for chores. But that's okay-like I tell him: It's his job to do the chores, and my job to remind him to get them done ;) He's healthy, eats anything I put in front of him, and is my best helper when his Dad is away working. Most people remark how well mannered and polite he is-and he is.

I am thankful for the boss I have, who has kept me on for over 20 years now. I feel fortunate that the boss continues to place his trust in me, year after year. It's a great company and while I know I will never go further than where I am-and that's okay, I really, truly like my customers. I enjoy problem solving and helping folks and for this, a major part of my life, I am truly blessed.

I am thankful for the new property....Not only do I have a "real barn", I have space for the garden and greenhouse-and the grounds are starting to look nice too. It's a treat having the small arena at my disposal, and I love that we seldom have traffic on our road. I enjoy hearing the wind in the trees and seeing heavy snows bending the branches too, the many birds that visit and the wildlife that ventures through occasionally.

I am thankful for the horses in my life. They are both healthy and happy and Sully in particular has taught me a lot. Because of him, I am much more observant than I used to be and his past issues started me down a path of learning.

I am thankful for the friends in my life. They keep me laughing, support me when I'm in a blue mood, and while we may not always keep in close touch, we can always count on each other.

I am thankful for my hay customers too. For their patience and understanding as I work my way through each van, trying to get them what their horses need. I am especially thankful that I have the hay growers' confidence and support, I would not be able to do this without him.

I am thankful for the life I have that affords me these blessings and opportunities. What I have accomplished, or learned, or grown beyond or into-they all play a part in my happiness. When you live by the Golden Rules, when you live true to yourself, when you love and give, when you can laugh and cry, when you are at ease with yourself and your life-you can say:

Life is good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am thankful daily for my family, friends, horses, job, hay.
Especially thankful for the many ways God has provided for me over the years and gotten me through serious illness.

Thanks!