Saturday, November 8, 2008

This, that and the other


Ok now that the election is over, I can pick up the strings of normal life and move forwards. Sure was a polarizing event for this nation, wasn't it?

Let's see.....First, Chubs did get moved successfully, but the trip was not without mishaps. You know how it is, nothing ever goes smoothly when you have to haul! We did not use my own truck because we don't have a break controller-and I just will not haul in the winter without trailer brakes. So I managed to strong arm a good friend into hauling Chubs. He loaded just fine, and we met the trailer on the road to lead them to the new location. Everything seemed to go fine until we turned off of the main (dry) road onto the other (icy!) road and the truck and trailer stopped. The driver popped out, shaking....no brakes on the truck at all-eeks! So we crept on down the hill and stopped on the longish flat spot and conferred over what to do. Too far to walk, couldn't drive truck safely with a trailer on, etc. I called the new boarding place owners, and after about an hour we ended up with another truck to tow the trailer the rest of the way. Chubs was a perfect gentleman the entire time we were stopped, which was wonderful. The last little bit of that road includes a short, steep grade and a hard turn to the right at the bottom-good thing we had swapped vehicles because there was no way to negotiate that without full braking!

Upon arrival, Chubs was quietly unloaded, and after a short while, was turned into the new pasture with new horses. Boy I have to tell you, that except for a couple of completely scary bellows out of the old fart-it went as smoothly as one can hope. He can defend himself from the one pony who is a bit of a pill, and has buddied up with another. He is seemingly very happy with his new digs and has established a place in the herd. The pasture looks to be about three acres in size, which is perfect for him :)

Second, I took some time off from work. Naturally this has meant being busy every day so far, and I haven't managed to get done half of what I need to, haha At this rate I will be going back to work to rest up! The time change has really been an issue for me, first time in my life. But I am making some headway on a few things I was determined to tackle.

Third, I am disheartened to relate that I have had my first colic here. Honestly, I have no idea what caused the impaction because I always make sure there is water available at all times. But yesterday morning I went up and the Princess was laying down. A bit odd, she got up as I put out the mornings ration of hay to them all. My stomach turned when she did not bully her way next to her buddy and instead walked away. Yikes! I checked for gut sounds but didn't hear anything-but then the roosters were crowing and the radio was going. Back to the house I went to try to find my stethescope. Stethescopes are very interesting to little boys and it took me a while to find them (and now they are at the barn where they belong) When got back up there, she was laying down again, and I thought, OH NO!!! Got her right up and tried to hear any gut movement......maybe a little something? I was not sure.

Back to the house, try to find owners land line number. Ten minutes of searching and I realize the only place I have it is on my work computer! So I call the cell phone. No answer. Rats! Wake up son and get him into the shower, back to barn. Still the same, but not laying down, but she isn't eating either. She isn't sweating or panting, but I know something is way bad wrong. Back to the house, call cell phone-no answer. I hustle my son into school clothes, get his stuff in the car, and off I go.....dropped him at the sitters, and then drove quickly to the owners' home. After waking up the household there, I head back home, check on the pony. She is laying down again, quietly, not trying to roll, so I get her up and dash back to the house to grab cell phone, home phone, coffee, etc. Shortly after this the owner arrives and in about two minutes we determine we need to call the vet.

It seems to take forever for the vet arrive, and during this time the pony is slowly getting worse. She is not dehydrated by pinch test, but is starting to breathe harder and is obviously terribly cramped in the abdomen. She does go down a few times but each time she is walked until the cramps relax and then is allowed to stand quietly. The vet administers banamine and eventually, with many tears and much emotion, the decision is made to get her hauled to the clinic. Of course, my trailer happens to be where Chubs is (doh!) and so I manage to borrow one from another friend who lives not far away.

I really sweated out the news all day yesterday. The owner and I had a number of discussions about what may have caused this. The owner contacted the previous owner, who said (and I quote here for a good reason) "Oh she does this every winter, you need to give her soaked alfie cubes with mineral oil" and "she does not drink enough water in the winter anyway"

The point of repeating the above is that the previous owner DID NOT MENTION this to the owner......there was no way for either of us to know! Don't you think that might have been important for a new owner to KNOW? Especially for a 25 to 35 year old pony? Good lord, I was upset, to say the least.

As of early last night, the pony had passed manure, YAY!!! She is not out of the woods, but since the vet only gave her a 50/50 chance, I will take that as a positive. If she makes it, we will all confer and figure out a way to manage her diet so that her water consumption is assured. I feel just sick that my own management (with lots and lots of quality hay) may have contributed to the colic :(

I will be hearing more news this morning I am sure. Keep your fingers crossed. The Princess is sorely missed by her companion, the hony........

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good to hear Chubs made it to his new home in spite of the minor mishaps.


Something Ive learned from impactions (have experienced them myself)...you can have all the water in the world available but you cant make your horse drink it:(
I had to keep an eye on my appy gelding during the winter months because he too did not always drink enough.

If you have a impaction the horse IS dehydrated and probably has been borderline dehydrated for several days. And of course, as you know, all that dry matter going in is sucking up even more moisture from the gut. Double whammy when you horse is not drinking enough.
Mashes work great for remedying some of this but I also found if the horse gets some exercise, enough to raise the body temp some, the horse will be more inclined to drink more. Hand walking or lunging for 10 minutes does the trick.
Top dressing feed with salt can induce thirst but this can be a double edged sword, especially if the horse is already dehydrated.
It may take several days for the impaction to fully clear and the guts could remain tender for a couple of months afterwards, at least that is what I found when my horse impacted.
Hope all clears out and the pony recovers soon.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

That soundslike a rough day! I hate to see them in pain.I had one that was a little iffy about water in the winter and I used a little oil in his feed just to keep things moving along , also gave him warm water and soaled the feed. But you can be very sure that if he left here I would have told the new owners in WRITING about his special needs!
Hope it works out for you.

suvalley said...

The news is pretty good, yay!

As of mid day yesterday, she had passed the mineral oil and was eating and drinking. I was so thrilled to hear this!

She is staying one more day at the clinic, just to be on the safe side. I think the owner is going to have a wellness panel done, just as a preacution. I am sure they have discussed the diet in detail-and I am happy to accomodate whatever she needs :)

She may have "ponytude", but she is very good natured and we all like her here. My hub even called twice yesterday to check up on her, lol

I have been thinking about the water issue (thanks, Lori!) and am toying with the idea of one of those heated, insulated buckets for her. I am speculating that perhaps her size and age might make it harder to lean over and down into the stock tank, maybe?

I already know the pony is not a big fan of beet pulp mashes, but I have plenty of alfie cubes on hand so a daily mash for her is no problem. I typically feed a very small beet pulp mash when the temps drop below zero anyway-and top dress it with salt to encourage more water consumption as I (of course!) feed a lot of hay as the temps drop.

I am so thankful she is going to be okay. Now we figure out how to outwit her tendencies ;)

Sherry Sikstrom said...

good to hear things are improving!