Saturday, December 6, 2008

December is challenging

Oh, it's not just for us Alaska horse owners-well into our third month of winter horsekeeping. Nope, it is the depressing financial news, the challenge of balancing our Christmas wants with needs, the press of family issues, the pushing and shoving of retailers to force/guilt us into purchases-the whole shebang. Add in high energy costs (yeah, like we are ever going to see gas down around a buck fifty any time soon.....) the uncertain economic times for our state and repeated missteps by the administration-well, it isn't shaping up to be a very happy time of year for many of us.

For myself, I am trying to head into this time of year on a relatively even keel. I won't go overboard with presents and we'll concentrate on our son instead. With so many van loads of hay arriving this fall, my own barn is stuffed full and I have enough for months on hand-always a very good feeling :) I had already stocked up on a variety of grains and sups-again, months ahead on those too. Pantry is acceptable, freezers adequate-we are in better shape than a great many Americans this holiday season-a blessing I will not take for granted.

The horses at my place are good....I have two actually on a diet (and boy they aren't happy about that) and the Princess got her mash bumped up a bit. Footing is decent, if the weather isn't (32 degrees and sprinkling here just now) and everyone is healthy-I am still getting eggs from my laying hens too. In all, life is good.

I'd love to see the horse community get behind a gift tag tree for horse owners here who are struggling.....a sack of feed, a bale of hay, a few items for the barn, could make a real difference to those in need locally. Unfortunately, we are so fragmented, so determined to be right instead of friendly and helpful, so impossibly judgemental, that this will never happen. Sad, isn't it? That we are so far removed from the Christmas spirit when it comes to those who share our love for horses, that we cannot set aside our feelings to help one another.

So as you go forward into the holiday season, I hope you will take a moment to think of other horse owners less fortunate than yourself-and bring them a little joy too-whatever you can afford. I know I plan to do the same.

1 comment:

Whisper Creek Farms said...

What a great idea about helping other horse owners with horsey gifts, lol. We are surely struggling for our first Alaskan Christmas and I have often wondered what in the world have we gotten ourselves into with so many mouths to feed (hoofed and not). Never take your blessings for granted and even though some may be hard to find at times, I too am always greatful for mine.
Merry Christmas!