Saturday, December 13, 2008

Whoa baby, it's cold out there!


Oh my gosh, never ever complain about snow, ice, or winds. The bottom has dropped out here the past few days! This morning I had -9 :( It's -4 right now and of course will drop overnight too.

Horses are good, they are all full of themselves, anxious for meals and blowing off excess energy. I suppose it says something about my Alaska horsekeeping skills when I go to the barn and 50% of the horses (okay, there is only four there right now, lol) go bat poo nutso on me....running, bucking hard, charging around, flinging their heads and snorting. Add in the squeal, spin and kick out and you get the idea you have a barn full of rank horses-but nope, they are just happy to see the "Food Goddess" arrive.

That would be me. With sizeable beet pulp mash in my hands.

Of course, I weenie-ed out and actually drove the 400 feet to the barn tonight, instead of using shank's mare like normal ;) Good boots, check. Beaver hat, check. Fancy schmancy North Slope type coat, check. Insulated bandit headgear for face-check. Super duper insulated gloves, check.

Over 80 pounds of hay put out tonight, doubled salt in the mash that everyone got-you just have to do this sort of stuff when it gets cold. My hub asked-do we need to go put on blankets? (Which are buried in an unlikely location and difficult to get to without daylight) and I said nope, not a one of them is shivering. Not a one has a clamped tail. Not a one has a hunched back.

No, they aren't cold if they are playing around, being horses at feeding time. A warm mash (taken out of house at 150 degrees but cooled by the time the feed pans are served), extra salt, and lots and lots of hay-that's what makes for the plump horses I have up there.

Of course, any wind at below zero temps and they'd ALL have blankets on-I won't tolerate a horse being miserable.

I am sure thankful I have the "munchie" hay on hand that I do....it doesn't weigh much on a per bale or flake basis, but that's okay.........I can put out a quarter to half a baleand not worry about it. It's low protien, mixed grasses....a perfect mix to feed out when the temps get severe.

2 comments:

suvalley said...

So this morning, it is slighter warmer, maybe -5. Very bright moonlight, frost on the tree branches, it's very pretty really.

The barn residents were....um, not real hungry. One kind of waddled up to see what I put out. One nosed through the breakfast and toddled off (there was left over hay in the stall). One dug into the imported with gusto, normal behavior. Stock tanks were down quite a bit overnight, and no one is cold at all, just a little frost on eyelashes and muzzles.

Another day or two of this, is the forecast. I will be happy to see a break, these horses need some exercise! Too cold to be doing much other than a quick hands on to verify what my eyes are telling me-they are holding weight, no one is dehydrated and all of them are carrying a good layer of fat ;)

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Yikes its cold here too we have hovered around -26 to -34 the last 2 days Fahrenheit that is about -22
I am sure looking forward to one of our famous chinooks!