Wednesday, June 24, 2009

If you look carefully


you can see the cracks starting to form in the local horse market. Fugly talks about the results of back yard breeders, foreclosures, job losses, and so forth in the Lower 48. But of course, like many things, it does not translate equally here in Alaska.

We have always had a rather artificially high median price. For many years, a decently trained (not push button, mind you) gelding between about 5 and 15 had a base price around $2500. Lesser asking prices reflected handling issues, or perhaps being "greenbroke". Basically, any horse that wouldn't buck you off, trample you, spook at normal things, stopped without a hassle, and was sound, qualified for the asking price. Registration, any show record, finish training added value quite substantially. Mares have always run slightly less than geldings, but they too, had steep asking prices based upon training and acheivements. Grade horses ran around five hundred less....and sometimes more, depending on individual talents.

I have wondered here before, just when (or even if) the Alaska horse market was going to correct and reflect the downturn in the economy. We have always been fortunate here, to be somewhat insulated from recessions in the Lower 48 states....we do generally have a downturn, but it arrives around a year and a half, to two years later. I am sure there is some good explanation for this, it might have to do with federal and state budget cycles-both of which help fuel our economy here. But whatever the cause, it does eventually come to rest here in Alaska.

It hasn't made the news much, but work on the North Slope (Prudhoe, Kuparuk, Alpine, etc) has been contracting for months now. A few laid off there, a couple dozen there, projects cancelled or delayed. Exploratory drilling put off, mid level management trimmed and even necessary maintenance is being tightly managed. Of course I could go into just why this is happening, but I am mentioning this as a symptom of what is come here only.

Local prices on horses are starting to reflect this, as I check online classifieds. Well broke horses will always carry a premium-a fact that I wish more horse owners would take to heart. The better the training and manners, the better the future is for your horse. If your horse is green or just started, invest in the horses' future with professional help if you can-or a knowledgeable friend if necessary. Superior ground manners, a solid whoa, and the basics of cues almost gaurantee a great future. Make sure they stand well for the farrier, can be tied, will load in a horse trailer too.

Over the past week, I have had four phone calls from acquaintances or people who were referred to me by others. In each case, either they owned, or knew someone who was looking to give away a horse. They all wanted "retirement" homes....in their minds, retirement is living with some kind, well to do person, who wants nothing more than just looking at a horse on their 10 or 20 acre place. For some, it was a heartbreaking choice that had to be made due to money. For others, it was more of a "I can't deal with an aging horses' special demands" issue. Each of the horses had a handicap of some sort-hard keeper, lame, two with serious under saddle issues.

I could not give any of them any hope. There are no retirement facilities in Alaska. None.

Shipping a horse to a facility in the Lower 48 costs a lot of money and some would not be able to handle the trip very well, if at all. Most legitimate, well run retirement ranches in the Lower 48 are full beyond capacity already, and many rescues are overwhelmed as the economy implodes. Shipping them south is an uncertain option unless you have a family member who is willing to take on the burden for you.

I pointed out several times, that simply giving a horse away (especially a horse with any issues at all!) was a very dangerous thing for the horse itself. Trust me, those freebies get passed along from one person to another, until eventually they end up dead. I have seen this many times here myself...who has not heard of an elderly horse who went through at least four or five homes before landing at the last one? Every person thought they were doing a good thing, and could do it better than the person giving it away.

Inevitably, the horse will gain a "was a 4-H horse" history, likely untrue, and the quality of care provided will slide down the economic ladder until they are dead. Starvation, lack of veterinary care, in a dog lot, whatever. It does happen, I have seen the results often enough to know this is a reality here in Alaska.

People think that they have found a "great approved home" for their horse, and walk away. They may ask for a phone call if the new owners need to place the horse again or something happens, but it seldom occurs. You can try a humane care contract.....but it is only as good as your commitment to check up on the horse, and the intentions and capabilities of the new owner.

The other option is more painful, but perhaps much more humane. And that is to put the horse down, before the slide into suffering. The harsh reality is that putting a horse down is usually the better choice all around. No, it isn't cheap either, but then there is no question about future homes, quality of care, or anything else. Some will give the horse away rather than face it, and I understand that. I may not agree with handing over the horse for someone else to deal with, but my compassion won't condemn them for doing so if they must.

There are those of us in the community who can help with this, if asked-I am one of them.

2 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Well stated ,even in a booming economy there are horse that slide through the cracks. A sad truth but a real one all the same. You are doing good work in your comunity , hope they appreciate it

suvalley said...

Appreciate it?

HA! Thanks for the chuckle, heehee!

I am not "appreciated" except for the hay I bring in.

I am hated, despised, gossiped about, trashed between people I thought were "friends" and generally been called everything but human over the years.

As Joe at TBFriends says:

Well, okay then....

I have always advocated for the horse. The people? Most of them I could do without ;)

Having a thick skin helps. It's amazing how people who have heard stories about me, or who were told what a terrible person I am-when they meet me in person, it's an eye opener ;)

Forthright and truthful, very much so. And much more personable than expected I presume, lol But I am not quite the monster some would like to think I am, you know?

I am just a person with solid convictions, a strong moral ethic, and painfully honest. I am very much like many who view me poorly-I am trying to raise my family, take care of a household, work full time, do the horse thing, and when I can-make a difference for a horse.

It's just unfortunate that people tend to believe what they hear, instead of learning for themselves-or, going straight to the source :)