Monday, June 8, 2009

Local talk radio and blogging


Local talk radio here has been bringing up bloggers and blogging, since the (now infamous) statement by Gov. Sarah Palin where she asserted that we're all "pajama clad bloggers". I am pretty sure this insult was directed towards Celtic Diva (local liberal blogger), who has filed ethics complaints against the Governor-but I admit to being unsure about just who the Gov was upset with since the statement was made months back.

Dan Fagan and Eddie Burke and Mark Colavecchio (sp?) all have devoted listeners on AM 750KFQD and I admit I have the radio here at work tuned to this station too. Mostly because I cannot stand the junk on the music stations these days.

I don't think a one of these gentleman has any idea what bloggers are, really.

A blog is simply a medium to share opinions.

Period.

An electronic means to vent, coerce, charm, enrage, delight, amuse and/or infuriate, etc, anyone who happens to stumble across them and read. For myself, I consider it a cross between an old fashioned public podium, and diary. Each blogger brings their own interpretation to the task, but hardly a one goes so far as to pass themselves off as a legitimate news website.

Yes, there are blogs (or rather, their authors) that go to great pains to relay only facts, backed up by sources. Many of these gems are way more solid than the Huffington Post, for example.

In that regard, those particular bloggers are no different than news reporters, and better than radio talk show hosts, for that matter. The difference is the amount of spin ;) In print, the tone and inflection of intended delivery can only be surmised. Whereas with radio or television, the intentions are pretty clear.

For example, for nearly every vehicle wreck that makes Ch 2 News (KTUU, the local NBC affiliate) they mention whether or not "alcohol is suspected to have been a factor". How relevant is that tidbit, except to push the stations owners' opinion? The choice of "suspected" is carefully made, since often at the scene of an accident, it cannot be determined whether or not alcohol was a contributing factor until tests are completed, lol The condemning tone of delivery of that line leads people to conclude "well, of course, it was a drunk!" They could just as easily not say anything, but this is mentioned nearly 100% of the time. But again, that's just my opinion ;)

I think at the bottom that what rankles these hosts (and the Governor too) is the fact that a blogger can remain anonymous if they chose. This is both the allure and the danger of blogging about senstive subjects. Or rather, what other readers/subjects perceive as sensitive.

However, a blogger is not likely to remain anonymous forever, not with the amount of data available on the web these days. Thus, the Mudflats author, and Celtic Diva's Blue Oasis have both been "outed" in recent months. Andrew Halcro wrote an entertaining and factually correct political blog for a good long while, until just recently bidding it adieu. I happen to know the identities of a number of blog authors whose opinions I read too-and I know for a fact that a number of people who read here know exactly who I am in "real life".

This has, of course, caused all number of people to become twitterpated when I relay some of the more notable events within the local horse community.......but I did not post about Flo Pitcher being arrested in the middle of the night at her farm, for assault and reckless endangerment or some such. And yep, the information is available online at the Alaska Trial Courts Public Access System for anyone to read. She went to some effort over the weekend to tell the world (via the pitiful venue of Craigslist) that the case was thrown out. Well good for her, but considering my encounter with Flo at the Knik Bar & Grill last fall-I am not too surprised.

And Flo is sure to blow a gasket as soon as she learns I mentioned her name too. Sigh.

She, like the Governor, and local talk radio hosts, just cannot seem to understand that a blog, especially this blog, is nothing more than written opinion.

5 comments:

AKPonyGirl said...

Just FYI.....Eddie Burke is on AM 700 KBYR from 2 pm until 5 pm.

suvalley said...

Ah, thank you....I had forgotten.

Eddie was on KFQD, for a while, then was picked up by KBYR. He is in direct competition with Dan Fagan, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

It just bothers me a little that both of these hosts, are so polarizing in their stances about Governor Palin. Eddie the cheerleader, Dan-in the role he likes to think as moral supremist, the opposite.

But what the heck, it's good entertainment, and like they say:

All politics is local!

mbd said...

Blogs have been both a good and a bad thing. They have allowed a tremendous amount of information and / or opinions to be aired in formats available to so many more people than ever before. But, of course, the burden is on the reader to verify the information or opinions and not treat them as gospel, like our parents did with Howard Cosell. Personally, it's mentally challenging to read a tidbit (whatever, gardening, horse health care, solar events) and then go do the research on my own to verify (or not) and learn more along the way.

I won't ever treat anyone's blog as the end all, but I do love having access to so many points of view.

And, I voted for Andrew :) A businessman running our state? "Oh, baby" indeed. A pity he's not quite as photogenic as Mrs. Palin and has the unfortunate habit of speaking his mind to the media.

suvalley said...

mbd, I am hopeful that Andrew Halcro's withdrawal from his blog and quitting the afternoon talk show, will lead to another venture into public office.

I confess, I did not know him or his viewpoints very well at all during the last campaign. It was his quirky, eye catching ads that caught my attention, but it wasn't until I started really looking into ACES and AGIA that I found his blog.

Boy was I hooked. I was very sorry that he has chosen to stop for the time being. Nothing like watching Troopergate unfold by the minute there, haha

I mostly hope this means he is thinking of a run for the Governorship, should SP run for national office.

I swear at the rate things are going, even I could get elected on a simple platform: I am not SP!

AKPonyGirl said...

Andrew did say that he was going to pay attention to his Avis business for a while and then head back into politics.