Monday, July 27, 2009

The $400 gelding


I've been saying for a while now, that Alaska horse prices are starting to reflect the state of the economy....and this reality is troubling.

A while back, a person listed an Appaloosa gelding for sale on CL. A lot of horses get advertised there because it's free and has a big readership. This particular gelding generated some follow up posts, mostly about his condition. Which was not very good-but not life threatening by any means. Given the penchant for attacks on CL, I am pretty sure that some people felt compelled to contact the owner via email, in addition to some pretty nasty responses posted. The ad was eventually removed, but not before I had shown my husband his picture. $900 they wanted.

The immediate response from him was your basic "Hell, no! No more horses!" which I expected. But the sad expression, ribby/wormy appearance and lack of muscling stayed with me, in the back of my mind. I idly wondered about his future-did he find a caring new owner who would feed him properly? Or, was he still alive with the people who had him? I didn't know the answer until yesterday morning, when I saw the ad posted again.

This time, the price was dropped to $400, with the plea that they didn't want him to go to a dog musher.

Good heavens, that got me. I shot off an email around 8 am, asking where he was, that I had Appaloosas too, and a followup email which included my home phone number. I knew when I sent it, my husband would have a snit.....but also know exactly how soft he is about hungry horses, horses that just need good care and feed and timely hoof care and attention to blossom.

I checked email repeatedly throughout the day, took the phone with me everywhere I went, just in case.

No response. Nothing. Still nothing this morning.

Now, the $400 gelding won't leave my mind, as I wonder and worry.

6 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

I so hope you are able to help him !

Unknown said...

I noticed this ad too. I figured the horse may have "issues" since he was still for sale and now listed at a lower price. I have to wonder if his condition has worsened since the original posting.

I guess it is a waiting game now.

AlwaysLearning said...

I feel so bad for this guy. I went out to see him. He has a cribbing problem, hasn't seen a vet in over a year. She says he's been dewormed, but it sure doesn't show. I almost bought him, but my boarding facility said no cribbers. He had a bale of hay in his inclosure, I was told by several people that Animal control won't do much if there is food and water. I also called AER but was told they don't help other people rescue horses but that I could provide details and they'd make a wellfare call on the horse. I hope they call you back. Poor thing.

suvalley said...

Cribbing problems can be dealt with, it's called a Miracle collar. Wormer is cheap. He needs a better diet, vet exam and hoof care I bet. (As a boarding operator, a cribber is no big deal to me-owner provides collar and it stays on)

No, Animal Control will find nothing actionable. AER will be unable to do anything, other than to put the seller on the defensive.

Which probably explains why I have not gotten a reply to any emails-including the one sent when he was advertised at $900.

I hope whoever ends up with this little guy, is a kind, knowledgeable person with the resources to care for him.

AlwaysLearning said...

That's what I thought as well, I didn't report them for those very reasons, but that doesn't mean someone else didn't I guess.

suvalley said...

Since I have had no response, I can only assume that the $400 gelding now has a new home.

I bet there will be more of these types of ads coming over the next year, as the economy here continues to slide.

It's not going to be a very good winter for horses I think :(