Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Wow, what a week!


Not only have we been blessed with an incredible stretch of sunny weather, the Governor Sarah Palin resignation has hit this state like a bomb, to put it mildly.

At first I was in a sort of state of shock (like probably everyone) and since, I have been wavering between anger and acceptance.

Yep, I am upset that Sarah Palin quit on us all-but on the other hand-well, I can understand some of her reasons. I am concerned about the future of the projects she has attempted to get off the ground, and whether Sean Parnell (Lt Gov.) will be able to work with the legislature and so forth. I won't speculate on all the rumors flying around locally, plenty of other bloggers are doing that quite well.

If you are interested, here are some links:

www.thealaskastandard.com Conservative, but definitely not pro-Palin.
www.andrewhalcro.com Former politician, well respected independent.
www.progressivealaska.blogspot.com Progressive blog by a Wasilla resident, tons of links to similar blogs and websites.
www.thealaskareport.com News website, critical of Sarah Palin's "management" of native issues.
www.anchoragepress.com A little more in depth articles and commentary.
www.adn.com Anchorage Daily News, our largest daily-with an active reader commentary section.
www.divasblueoasis.com An Anchorage resident, has filed a number of ethics complaints against Sarah Palin. Warning: Hard to read and navigate website.
www.themudflats.net Another progressive/liberal website-enter at your own risk.

For myself, I am enjoying the weather very much. The veggie garden is darned near jumping out of the ground, its so happy with the heat and sun. The corn in the greenhouse is taller than I am, and getting tassles and baby ears galore. I have cucumbers, and a few summer squashes coming on, plus the broccoli is trying to set heads also. Of course this means an awful lot of time spent dragging around garden hoses and watering cans, lol Each morning I am watering the greenhouse, and the baskets and bowls at the house. This morning I turned on the veggie garden sprinkler for about 20 minutes, as it looked pretty dry to me. Tonight I need to refill the water barrels in the greenhouse and soak the pumpkins. Then more water on the veggies after a quick weed and putting up some more twine for the peas.

Of course, I could do without the blanket of smoke which has drifted down from the Interior as a result of wildfires up there. I am actually surprised there hasn't been a health alert issued because of it, even though the weather reports just call it "haze". Today we'll have another day into the low 80s, and I'm loving it!

No comments: