Monday, December 7, 2009

The consequences of poor handling skills

Today I am going to share a little story. It illustrates perfectly the real consequences of poor horse handling skills.

In general, I have found that most "problem" horses were made so by people. Perhaps the horse was not handled at all as a weanling and then introduced to the ways of man by force. Perhaps typical foal behaviors (which are perfectly natural for the species, but very dangerous for humans when they are adult) were encouraged, rather than reprimanded. That would be mouthing, nipping, kicking, rearing, plowing into people, etc.

Usually, these horses are pretty smart, and the lessons they learn-good or bad-become behaviors nearly impossible remedy. With some, it may only take one or two incidents and the horses learns: I throw a fit, and voila! I get my way. As an example, here is something we have all seen: A dog runs away from its owner. Owner is ticked off, and calls the dog. Dog knows the owner is angry by tone of voice, and is hesitant. Owner gets even more angry and eventually the dog gives in and comes. The owner promptly smacks the dog for not coming. What has this taught the dog? That if it comes when called, pain is the reward. There is a good lesson there, if only people will heed the consequences. Reprimands need to be instantaneous and fit the offense in each and every case.

Which brings me to today's entry. Seven years ago, I leased a marvelous Appaloosa mare. As part of the lease cost, I bred the owners' second mare for free. That mare was a gorgeous solid Appaloosa mare. Smart, moved like a dreamboat, and was also a ribbon winner at local shows. A truly nice nice mare, and well within my breeding criteria. The mare produced a stunning filly the following year, leggy, pretty Sully face, great shoulder and neck, etc. Leggy like her dam, but oh so pretty. The owner had some life changes and the filly was then sold on to a young gal.

This young gal was pretty confident in her training skills as she had some experience in the L48. A few years go by and I get a call about the filly (now a fully adult horse) and the gal is having problems getting the mare to move forward. I was thinking that was pretty odd, because as a rule most horses (while inherently lazy) will move out if you prompt them strongly enough. During the conversation I hear about some sort of incident between the mare and the owner's mother. No one is quite sure what happened, but the Mom ended up with fairly severe facial trauma. It's evident to me that any trust there between them-the horse, the girl, and her mother, is broken and there are probably other things happening with the horse as well. I suggested getting a professional assessment, because many times an outside, experienced person will pick up on things the daily handler might not see.

Then I don't here about the young mare for a year or so, until she starts popping up for sale on various websites. I email a couple of times, but do not get a response. I hear through the grapevine that the girls' family is having some sort of trouble during this period too, always stressful. Over a year ago, I learn from a friend that the mare has been taken to a local barn for try out, prior to sale. I am not sure what happens, but there is a small incident and the deal falls through as the horse does not have the training level the prospective purchasers were looking for. After that, she falls off my radar completely until last month.

Now, she is for sale for $700, negotiable to the right person.

For that low of a price, you know there has to be a hole there, right? And oh indeed there is, and a big one. I have not spoken to the current owners, but this is what I have learned: The mare has been allowed to get away with very dangerous behavior. Today, she is a serious danger to humans, even experienced handlers and wranglers. And most especially in family type situations.

No one recognized the dangerous behavior for what it was, when it happened. All it takes is a few times of getting away with something, and there you have it: A learned behvaior that only gets reinforced instead of reprimanded.

If you do not have the skills, or even the knowledge to recognize dangerous posturing or actions when they happen and correct them at once, you are doing yourself, and the horse no favors.

So here we have a young, sound, decently trained horse (seemingly excellent once haltered with a lead on) who will likely end up euthanized. She's 7 this year, a solid 15.2, pretty as can be, and oh so smart. So smart, she picked up the wrong lesson. It will likely cost her life. I know how I would cope with it, I even recommended that to a friend who looked at the mare. But the risks are very big, and she cannot come to my facility either.

I have run into a number of such horses over the years, and most things can be worked through with enough dedication and appropriate handling, coupled with judicious work and stabling arrangements. It all comes back to one of my own personal conclusions: A good equine citizen stands a very good chance at a long, healthy life. It is our duty as caretakers/owners/trainers/handlers to ensure that the horse has a future too.

Pretty soon, the rumor mill will churn out that it is entirely the stallion's fault that this happened (because people are oh so ignorant and blame the stallion for absolutely everything) and I will end up going to great pains to explain how this came to be, and why. Or I might take the easy way out this time, and simply say this:

It was a consequence of poor handling skills.

No comments: