Saturday, May 28, 2011

Summer has arrived, woohoo!

Yes, summer like weather has finally arrived in Southcentral Alaska-and none too soon! We've had a very cold and dry spring with the birch trees leafing out several weeks later than normal. Lawns are beginning to green up, and the ornamental shrubs, bushes, and berries are leafing out as well. The past three days, we have had glorious sunshine and temperatures into the 70s.

Naturally this has lead to a frantic amount of work for those of us who garden. It's a mad scramble to get the garden plots and beds fully prepped and then planted. I am running around a week behind but with the help of family, it's getting done. Bless my niece who helped all day yesterday! As of this weekend, I should finally have room in my greenhouse to pot up my tomatoes and corn.....I haven't had a spare square foot in there since I moved in. I did manage to get the vegetables hardened off to sunlight, but the flowers-baskets, bowls and planters, have been put aside until today.

It'll be a busy, yet very productive weekend as I head over to help out a friend all three days.

Yeehaw, summer in Alaska! Where you burn both ends of the candle in the summer, and sleep all winter!!

No comments: