Thursday, June 2, 2011

Progress!



Yippee! There is progress on the garden! The main garden is planted, thanks in large part to the efforts of my niece. Everything that is remaining in the greenhouse is potted up, and the extra tomatoes and corn await attention in the cold frame. The raised bed is nearly complete too, I only need to add the little brackets and then I can spread the dirt and think about planting. Loaned out the tiller to our good friend and neighbor and it quit on him.....hopefully the problem is still under warranty and I'll hear about that today with luck. Aside from the cold frame, I have pumpkins and acorn squash to get planted, and peas and spuds if possible. And yes I am well aware I am very late with those two, lol

Also last night, I picked up two turkey chicks....these are for eating this fall. And, I have five more ordered to arrive at the end of the month too. Those are Sweetgrass, a very hardy bird that breeds true and is thrifty-not to mention very pretty. Hopefully they will all survive the shipping and then brooding and I will end up with at least one tom and two or three hens to winter over. Crossing my fingers on this one, because turkey chicks just aren't easy to raise. Very fragile when they are young! Another gal has chosen the same breed and number (from a large combined order) and between us we can hopefully establish the breed here in Alaska. A little genetic diversity is not a bad thing :)

As to the goat world....well, things are happening. And won't you all be entertained when I can lay out the story! But you'll have to wait because it has turned into a saga of epic proportions, haha!

No comments: