Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Today's the day!



Today, my son is off on his first 'for real" life adventure. For years, he has been asking to go along with the adults on the trek into a friends' cabin in the Petersville area. We've said no previously because of the typical trail conditions-which are lousy at best. But this year, he has gained enough height and muscle to wrestle his four wheeler through the mud, muck, and muskeg on his own. He now knows how to use the winch, the tow rope, and how to cross small creeks. He's right at the age where he's still fearless (every mother's worst nightmare) and yet has the common sense to think through a situation before rushing headlong into it.

He has no idea what he's facing, exactly, but I've been listening to the stories about slogging through the swamps for years....and, it will be four to six hours of very hard work, with plenty of wheelers stuck or swamped and so on. He's outfitted with rain gear, hip waders, a helmet, and plenty of dry clothes. I've asked that plenty of pictures be taken because he's going to want them-whether he realizes it or not :) I'm excited for him, but not half as much as he is!

Naturally the weather has turned off wet. I won't complain because we have been so dry for so long....we seriously need the rain! But it means that they are all going to end up cold, wet, and tired by the time they get to the cabin. Good thing they're packing a lot of groceries for just a couple days....I don't think his Dad really understands how much a growing 12 year old boy can eat in a day, haha!

Also today another matter moves forward-as noted previously in another blog post earlier. You can be sure I will have something to say about the results-if any-that arise from this afternoon's court date.

Oh and to reassure those of you who contacted me provately about several previous blog entries....again, let me remind you that we do live in the USA, where there is this wonderful document called the Bill of Rights. I have the right to express my opinion, really I do. And that is that, as is oft quoted.

No comments: