Friday, June 17, 2011

Fractured Fairy Tales.......Redux



A recap of the sordid saga of Alaska goat community:

It all began for this author innocently enough. I'd been thinking of expanding my presence in the goat industry for quite some time. To that end, I was on Facebook one day last December, and performed an action that is done millions of times every single day there: I clicked "like" on the Alaska Mini Goat Cache page. I found another related page, and liked that one too (this one, the Alliance for Raw Milk local page). Imagine my puzzlement when I was booted from both pages-within minutes of each other. Despite the claims of "Facebook glitches", it became clear that the issue was personal when I discovered that the same person was an admin on both pages. That person was Heather Fair.

From there, I asked on a Yahoo group, what was up with being booted? Seemed like a reasonable question, I am sure you will agree. A flood of denials ensued and then more discussion took place over changes being made to the club website.

Who knew that the question I posed, would eventually toss gasoline on a long smoldering tinderbox? For a week or so, the issue of being booted from pages, and administration of pages, and the ins and outs of Facebook were debated and discussed. At some point, I discovered that Heather Fair had personally blocked me. (If you don't know what this is, trust me when I say that participation in a group page where blocking is allowed, is beyond frustrating) And then of course, so did Laura Manary and Tisa Witham too.

Then, on the 27th of December, after I had gone around to the various websites and joined those organizations I usually join, I went to the Alaska Mini Goat Cache website. I intended to join the club, and did so using the club's online membership application and submitted my membership dues at around 4 pm. A number of other people did the same thing at nearly the same time I found out later. On the 28th of December I got the following email:
___________

Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 10:09 PM
Subject: Formal Complaint

A formal complaint has been lodged against you for violations of the AKMGC's objectives, purpose and bylaws.
It has been found with at least 2/3 vote of the officers to have your membership terminated(single or family) by expulsion for a period of not less than 2 years and re-entry into the club will only be allowed upon receipt of completed application with payment and by 2/3 confirming vote of the club's officers at that time. As a courtesy we will refund any monies paid for the 2011 membership.

Laura Manary
AKMGC President
______________

Just pause for a second here: I was a member for a whopping 28 hours. Twenty eight hours between the time that an officer found the appllication, and they decided to terminate me with expulsion. Any bets as to who made the complaint?

Stay tuned!

No comments: