Sunday, January 11, 2009

Day 17


Today is the seventeenth day it has been below zero at my place. I am quite sure a lot of other Alaskan's have had plenty more than that, but I am just flat out tired of cold.

I am tired of struggling into my cold weather gear to do chores. Tired of driving to the barn because I usually have my young son along and although he has good gear, I don't want him outside longer than absolutely necessary at -20+. I am tired of having five annoyed chickens in my garage, and cleaning up after them. (Although just reaching in and snatching eggs is okay) I am tired of wrestling hoses that will freeze in minutes if you aren't quick. I am tired of just raking frozen manure to the side, instead of hauling it out. I am tired of checking under blankets, pulling gloves off to feel underneath them, and while I am at it, checking to verify the stock tank heater is working properly. I am tired of dry skin, dripping noses, and the very thought of bringing more firewood to the house makes me wince.

My poor dog can hardly stay out long enough to do his business, and many times I have had to stop my feeding routine and scoop him up and into the car-to keep his feet from freezing. He's getting real good about being quick, I will give him that.

My kid is going crazy being cooped up in the house. The Wii and movies and toys are starting to wear thin and he needs to blow off some excess energy aside from helping Mom feed once a day. Everyone else I know with kids, says the same thing-but it's too cold to be outdoors safely. However, he now knows that the phrase "Gear up!" means snow pants, heaviest coat, best gloves, a head sock and a hat.

The horses are starting to show some crankiness too. Just generally slightly akilter, not really upset or bothered, just ever so slightly unsettled and just a little more active than the good groceries would warrant. They too, need to blow off steam and get active. I just get to see them when it's dark for the most part, since it's been too cold to work them or even turn them out into the arena. I can't risk any of them working up a sweat at these temperatures either.

In short, I am danged sick of it all, and can't wait for the weather to turn.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm ready to puke too.

On the upside the clear, starry, moonlit nights have been so bright that I have not needed any additional light when feeding.

I'm really tired of hearing that is going to warm up....ha, right!

Whisper Creek Farms said...

Well it did warm up today at my place. It's sad when 10 degrees feels warm :)
Hopefully it won't get so cold for such a long stint during the next few cold months and then... HELLO summer ;)

Sherry Sikstrom said...

I hear you , it has finnaly warmed up a little and we got about 12 inches of snow over the last couple days ,then add the wind...
yeesh where is spring?