Friday, January 23, 2009

Updates!


First, we weathered our strange January thaw just fine. The horses' pens have relatively good footing-er, traction, because we purposely left some manure down. Not something I like doing, but I can't have them standing on a water covered skating rink either. Of course, any place that has been plowed over the winter, is another matter altogether, lol We went through a huge load of gravel, spreading it by hand over the driveway, barn and house areas. No one had a bad spill so that works! We now have a resident pair of quick and easy to put on traction devices at the barn, in case anyone needs them :)

The Princess and her Hony. The hony is comfortably stalled over at Bluegrass, one of the best horse facilities in the area. He has started back into work, and hopefully will slim down a bit as he left here in fine shape-round! I found out last night that the Princess is returning to Fairbanks, to become a pampered, retired, center of attention for some young girls. They are thrilled to have her come back, but I am going to be very sorry to see her leave. Not to mention my son is going to be heartbroken as he had hoped to ride this coming summer. It's okay I told him, I do have two other horses, lol I will surely miss her quiet morning nickers though :( When she leaves, it will be just my two at the barn-a first in a long time.

Chubs is chugging right along. Despite his handicap of severe arthritis and blown, calcified knees, he has about vaulted himself into the herd master position now. He's doing great, and the folks that care for him are wonderful, caring people. He is keeping company with Wingnut, by the way. Wingnut looks marvelous! It's obvious that the herd environment and large area are just perfect for her. Like I told the lady that inquired about boarding this week....youngsters and some individual horses just flat need more room than I can provide. I recommended another local place where I know the owner experience with babies-I hope they work something out. Babies need room to romp and play and run!

On the home front, we are doing well. I have made up my list of seeds I need to get started on the "great vegetable grow". This weekend I will get them ordered and next week I need to get things organized at home, and here at the shop. It seems I can't grow enough veggies to satisfy the demand-which is not a bad thing. I also need to get set up to start some peppers next week. Yes, the smaller and hotter the pepper, the longer to maturity-so, I have some habenero seeds to get going, pronto! The big plant happens in mid March. Last year I did around 70 flats altogether. This year, I hope to triple that.

I am also thinking of building a small raised bed here at work, and stuffing some cabbages or something in it-just because. I have a spot along the fenceline out front that will work, and it's not too far to reach with a hose, so why not? It will get a lot of sun exposure, so I will need to think through how to keep it moist enough if I go with cabbages-they are big water hogs. Besides, nothing impresses people more than seeing those huge cabbages! Now, should I start some OS cross next month? Or wait it out and end up with smaller ones? I can't decide yet. Starting things too early can become a real headache if you don't have access to a greenhouse when you need it!

The hay vans continue to arrive, completely sold out in advance. I don't know whether this is a good thing or not, but I really don't like telling folks I have none to spare :( And I don't. It was even a stretch to donate a bundle from this current van, cutting into my own supply to do so. But when it comes to Alaska Equine Rescue and old, skinny horses-just gotta do it. I loff old horses and I won't see them wanting if I can help it.

Work is in it's normal, semi dormant state for January. I have no idea how the coming season is going to go, but there are still some new houses being built-which tells me not all credit is frozen and that the inventory on the market is tightening up. Any builder who has figured out how to do the less expensive, starter type houses, is still building. I am rather expecting a rough two or three years for everyone here. The Governor just announced a hiring freeze, and is planning a 7% reduction in the operating budget. Too little, too late, I fear. Alaska usually ducks the worst of the economic woes of the L48, but our unemployment rate is already 7.3%. Another group announced an expected job loss of 3400 for the state. I already know of over a dozen people laid off on the Slope (That would be, loosely, the Prudhoe bay area) and more is sure to come. I am crossing my fingers my own hub won't be a victim of this too. Part is the tax structure, part is the overall economy, and part is due to the DNRs refusal to allow drilling at Pt Tomson-as far as work on the Slope goes.

Other than that, life goes on.

2 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

So am I reading right the Princess is the one we were discussing a couple weeks ago? and she has a reprieve? If so I am soo glad!

suvalley said...

Yes, that's her! I was so thrilled to learn that she has a new home where she will be cherished :)

BTW, as an update to the update here: DNR Commissioner Tom Irwin has dropped his suit against Exxon over the Pt Thomson leases, and has given the go ahead on two on them-plus an okay to build the ice road to bring in the drill rig.

This coincided (or maybe not?) with Gov. Palin's creation of "SarahPAC" Her very own PAC, which is generally considered a prerequisite to running for national office. Hmmm.