Sunday, February 22, 2009

It begins!

This morning, I was greeted by what gardeners can only call "a heavenly aroma". That scent that permeates the house, of wet starter mix :)

Yesterday I started 8 flats of peppers-two of which are from seeds I saved and of course I am not positive how they are going to germinate. Peppers are usually pretty easy, but you never quite know for sure. Then, as I was rooting around in the left over seed packets from last year, I stumbled across two unopened packages of dark blue, trailing lobelia. So I thought, what the heck! Laid in a moist layer of starter mix and oh so carefully sprinkled the powder-like seed across the surface. Then it was carefully placed inside a clear plastic bag and put under light. Of course I must remember that the one flat (if it germinates well) will end up making up to 9 more flats!

So I am debating whether or not to buy hundreds of cell packs and flats, or just try to wing it with what I have on hand. I did get an offer to sell my extras from a store front, so that is something to consider too. The plan is that I will only have the lobelia, pansies, tomatoes and a few peppers here at home-everything else will get delivered to the greenhouse-which will have heat about the first of April.

Also on the "should I or shouldn't I" list, is whether or not to start the tomatoes, which are heirloom varieties which take longer to germinate and get going. And the usual cabbage dilemma also-if I start OS cross now, it will need potting up into something by about the mid April. Will I have room for that? Hmm, I think I will go ahead with the tomatoes, and wait on the cabbage for another couple weeks........

2 comments:

suvalley said...

This morning when I turned the lights on, I could see teeny tiny little hints of growth-the seeds are starting to sprout, woohoo! I hope they are standing by the time I get home today :)

Dressagefun said...

Hey, how do I get on the list for lobelia?!