Sunday, January 2, 2011

Hello, 2011!

And good riddance, 2010!!

I am sure glad to see the end of the year, aren't you?

All in all, 2010 was a challenge for almost everyone I know. It seems everyone had some sort of ongoing crises or trouble, whether from losing or not being able to find a job, to losing homes and businesses, to family or health issues that were difficult and trying.

I don't need to recap the long list of follies passed by Congress and signed into law in 2010. Heck, I don't even have enough space on this blog to post the text of the bills! Since my focus is growing food in quantity, I was disheartened (to put it mildly) by the passage of S510. It is awaiting the President's signature right now, if it has not already been signed.

The masses, otherwise known as sheeple, have no idea how this is going to impact their lives and their ability to grow their own food. There are so many bad things contained within the bill, I think even supporters would be surprised. But with the broad powers handed over to the Secretary of Agriculture, I expect to see some very troubling regulations being mandated in the next two years.

Because of that, one of the first things I am planning on doing, is to start talking to local legislators and representatives about establishing Alaska's right to protect their own food supply. Vermont is already far ahead in this area, and perhaps Alaska could adopt something similar to this:

http://www.naturalnews.com/030827_food_sovereignty_Vermont.html Alaska is a sovereign state so I am hopeful I can get others on board with this idea and we can create a movement to rectify the federal governments' intrusion into the backyard gardens of homesteaders across the state. Food security should be a notable issue here anyway. It's a good article, and worth a few minutes of your time to read it, I promise.

Another item of my list of "must do" right away, is to revamp my existing website. I basically need to dump everything that is there, and then put up one suitable for the greenhouse business. Going hand in hand with that will be a FB and blog, and so forth. You can't get by these days with a simple phone listing, or an expensive (but seldom read) print ad campaign. I have some ideas in mind for this, and hopefully it will come to fruition sooner rather than later, lol

Other than that, we're doing pretty well here. We've had several days in a row of very warm temperatures for this area, which has made driving (or even walking and standing!) iffy at best in most areas. The chickens are thrilled to be let out of their coop, and the horses at the barn are getting a little spring snort to them.

No comments: