Friday, October 17, 2008

The CL flag wars continue

A recent topic on a local group, the constant flagging that is taking place on our local Craigslist was discussed at length. Having been a CL poster, I have learned what gets your ads flagged down:

Any website or even a partial website
Any kind of business name
More than one horse (sometimes)
Posting more often than the "flag nazis'" think you should
Anything else the nazi's think violates the TOU

In other areas, CL ads just stay up unless they are really long, nasty, or are big time spammers. We have a couple spammers here too, notably the people posting the tractors for sale-I mean, come on, everyone knows you cannot purchase a year or two old medium sized tractor here for under six grand, lol That's the only thing I flag on CL, in the hopes they will try to peddle whatever it is they are really selling, some other place.

A CL ad also makes you a target for anyone who doesn't like you. Or, you can become a target and be presumed guilty of flagging, even if you haven't! It's a no win situation here, even if you have hay that people are needing. I really feel for all the local farmers and hay dealers-as soon as an ad gets posted, it's flagged-sometimes in just a few minutes. I highly doubt the flagging down hay ads is coming from a local hay grower...just think about it: Who would have the time? And this year, who has hay they can't sell??

This same mentality is proven as horse for sale ads get flagged down at lightspeed. It doesn't seem to matter who the seller is, it can be down in just a few minutes. Most of these are obviously the result of someone who doesn't like the seller....or, folks think they are spamming by reposting their ad over and over again. Which of course they do because they get flagegd down so quickly, lol!

Actually, it's all very overblown. I have a hunch some of the nazi's are feeling pretty secure in their ability to get rid of ads-people whose ads are from competitors, ads from people they have an axe to grind with, people who are adversaries. And then of course a lot of ads get caught up in the crossfire, entirely by accident. The anonymity that CL provides might give the flagger a little thrill....a "see there, take that!" giggle as they click the upper right hand link(s) for flagging. Never thinking through the consequences of their actions.

Of course, the whole CL phenomena (the self regulated, free ads) is a wonderful tool for Alaskans. I know I have found some deals on CL, and sold a few items I didn't need myself. But I learned in a hurry-don't bother posting an ad for hay for sale. It doesn't matter how it is phrased, it will be flagged off in a hurry. And any discussion on there, is rightly flagged as those belong in either the forums, or R&R. But truthfully, R&R is a cesspool, the forums have their nazi's too, but it surely makes it to Farm and Garden pretty regular. Here's a typical snipe:

WANTED TO BUY HAY - $1 (MAT-SU)
Reply to: sale-882313096@craigslist.org [?]Date: 2008-10-16, 7:05PM AKDT
AFTER WATCHING ALL THE HAY FOR SALE ADS FLAGGED, AND ALL THE ADS SAYING ALASKA HAY IS INFERIOR, MAYBE..... THE PERSONS TRYING SO HARD TO DISCREDIT ALASKA HAY IS SOMEONE WHO HAS OUTSIDE HAY ARRIVING NEXT WEEK AT $545 OR MORE PER TON???????? THINK ABOUT IT...... LOCAL GROWER COME ON GIRLS KNOCK IT OFF, GO TAKE YOUR PMS PILLS,.....FLAG, FLAG, FLAG
Location: MAT-SU
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interestsPostingID: 882313096

Now the above is a fairly typical little rant. I don't even need to explain the obvious I would hope, most of the readers here are locals who do visit the Craigslist F&G, and already know what happens there. Nope, I have no idea who is "trying so hard to discredit Alaska hay" because it surely isn't me. Most of these folks have no clue what I have in my barn, but it does include hay from three local, Alaska sources. I have no idea who has hay arriving next week...and all imported is going to be over $545 a ton, that's a fact based on freight rates and the going price down south.

But what I do see, is a pattern here. The assumption of guilt that comes from these flaggers. The assumption that a particular ad is from a specific person-without proof. The assumption that any one person, or group of people, is responsible for the rampant flagging.

If it takes more than one person to flag down an ad, then it's impossible for one person to be at fault for all this, period.

It's a shame that CL is being abused this way, it's a shame that people can't sell their horses, it's a shame that people can't buy hay. It's a shame that people can't sell hay too. On the other hand, they could pony up the bucks and place an ad with the Alaska Horse Journal, the Frontiersman, the Anchorage Daily News. They could make up flyers and schlep them around to the local feed stores-where they will again be taken down by those who feel they are righteous in their actions.

It's a no win situation, for everyone, and it's small and petty at that. Grow up and get a life is what I would tell these flag nazi's.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

When I first seen the hay ad that you have mentioned I figured it probably came from you know who, directed at you know...you! If it is who I figure it is they sure don't know squat.
After all you produced local hay for a number of years, why would you discredit it?

It amazes me that someone would spend so much time flagging every hay ad that comes onto CL, as if it's a mortal enemy they are fighting.

suvalley said...

Good points there, Lori.

I have no idea who posted that CL ad...none at all. Could be anyone, and who knows what their real reason is for doing it? But yes it's obviously a slap at me personally. No problem for me, but do these people realize that at least four other individuals have brought up vans in the last year?

I bet they don't know this, or if they did think of it, they don't care. For some reason, the Valley having a source of really good imported hay at a price lower than the feed stores is some kind of threat. Threat to whom, or what, I have no idea but as you have seen on CL it can get pretty vicious.

Why is this a bad thing? It's obvious Alaskan hay producers cannot put up enough horse quality hay to meet the demands here. Otherwise, the feed stores would never carry any in inventory. As you know, I have often lamented the loss of our hay grounds to development-and I even know how many acres of hay is required per horse (something I bet most of the horse owners here don't know, or don't know how to figure out) The shrinking acres in production will continue, and until such time as a real push is made for another Pt MacK up towards Talkeetna or someplace, we will need more hay.

People just tend to forget that I do this for the horses. Period. I don't care *who* it is who needs hay, if you need hay, you can order as much as you need just like anyone else. Pay your small deposit and the balance when you pick it up. I will be extremely careful loading the hay just like I would for anyone else-and I will be just as friendly and pleasant with me "worst enemy" as I would be with my "best friend"-because the horses matter more to me than ego.

boxedup said...

Actually, no one person can flags ads down, it takes *many* flags. up to thousands depending on how high the flag threshold for our area is set by CL. I think people got so sick of commercial type ads (which is specifically against the TOU for CL, that they flag everything that hints at being a business. The rule applies even to F&G, no business ads allowed.
I shudder to think what a morass of spam CL would be without community flagging. Some innocents get caught up in the flags, but often if they just make some needed changes to their ads, they will stay up. Forum 3 (flag help) is a great asset to find this out in.

Adam said...

I realize I'm posting late here. But I just stumbled on this blog after I googled "flag free rants & raves."

I just wanted to address a comment made by Lori. While it true that it takes many flags to bring down a post, it is NOT true that this cannot be accomplished by only one person.

People use "web proxies" to spoof their identity. It makes a website believe you are a different "person" if it sees a different IP address.

There are many autoflagging software program that make changing IP addresses and then flagging a post very fast and easy.

I've been posting on a site that is just getting started. I used to like posting on Rants and Raves to blow off some steam. This site is everything Craigslist could have been but isn't since they refuse to lift a finger to stop autoproxy flaggers.

cl-morans.com

It's a new site but it's starting to take off. Hope to see you there.

Adam said...

I realize I'm posting late here. But I just stumbled on this blog after I googled "flag free rants & raves."

I just wanted to address a comment made by Lori. While it true that it takes many flags to bring down a post, it is NOT true that this cannot be accomplished by only one person.

People use "web proxies" to spoof their identity. It makes a website believe you are a different "person" if it sees a different IP address.

There are many autoflagging software program that make changing IP addresses and then flagging a post very fast and easy.

I've been posting on a site that is just getting started. I used to like posting on Rants and Raves to blow off some steam. This site is everything Craigslist could have been but isn't since they refuse to lift a finger to stop autoproxy flaggers.

cl-morans.com

It's a new site but it's starting to take off. Hope to see you there.

Unknown said...

I have had my very seldom services section ads flagged too - for no reason - and total nightmare to deal with the help forum nuts.

I found a website that claims no ads will be flagged, seems pretty new but may be a choice for the thousands of CL posters getting their ads flagged.

http://neverflagged.com has anyone used it yet?

thanks