Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Uncle Ted, I thought I knew you

Unless you have been living in a cave up here, you have heard a lot about Ted Stevens, Bill Allen, and the work done on the Girdwood cabin. You've heard about the invoices, the barbeque, the details about the long friendship between Allen and Stevens, and about Ted's wife who paid the bills.

I remain torn, I really do. Do I think Bill Allen through Ted under the bus? Of course. Do I think the prosecution was politically motivated? Naturally. Do I think think Ted did something wrong? Yes.

But mostly I fear what it means for Alaska. Until the verdict yesterday I thought Ted stood a fairly good chance at being re-elected, considering his Democrat opponent, Mark Begich. Now, I am sure he will go down in flames.......if he had not pushed for an expedited trial, the Governor would have had the opportunity to appoint a temporary until a special election was held. A special election would have meant another Republican in that scenario. With that chance gone, I do expect Uncle Ted to resign. It saddens me that he will leave Washington in disgrace-after 40 years of stellar service to Alaskans.

Uncle Ted, I thought I knew you. It feels like a betrayal.

No comments: