Wednesday, October 1, 2008

October 1st, already!

This morning was the fourth one in a row, that I walked under stars for morning feeding. Brilliant stars, the constellations glittered in the quiet of my footsteps. As usual, my first glance is towards the Big Dipper-and as always, I search for the North Star. The North Star is difficult to locate if it hasn't been pointed out to you before, and you wouldn't think it would be so faint-but it's there. And as always I wish I knew more about astronomy because I don't know the names-and that's something a parent should teach their children. I think I better go do some research on this topic.

Today was my father's birthday. Funny how you don't forget those things, isn't it? For years, as rather a joke, I would get the same things for this day, and he always chuckled with a twinkle in his eye when he opened them too. Traditions, very important and I am saddened that his passing in '87 will only be remembered by a few. He would have loved my son, truly, and would have gotten along well with my husband I am positive of that. As a sailor, he knew all the constellations and their origins-and sadly, I did not pay attention when I was a child.

Yes, I miss him dearly, and can easily envision his expressions and hear his voice (complete with original sayings too) in my mind. Dad, I am missing you today. Oh dear, I am melancholy, imagine that :(

Starry morning skies and sunny days make me hopeful that some local farmers got in a late second cutting-I know of only one so far, but it's promising that others are doing the same. Let's all hope for a bountiful cutting tucked into barns for the coming winter-we need it. In the meantime, vans continue to arrive and I continue to work like a dog arranging them and offloading. The grower called me yesterday and we spoke of the supply and the freight, of course. Next year will be much better for supply as he is adding another pivot for hay. And again, we lamented that there seems to be no affordable shop space in Wasilla proper for storage of extra hay. I would basically have to have for nearly free, and that is just not a possibility.

So, all the outside chores are done and we are ready for the first snows. The place is tidy even if the inside of the barn is it's usual disshevled mess. I think we'll work on that a bit tonight when I get home, it's time to dig out those stock tank heaters anyway. So far, the insulated tanks are doing well-no serious ice even at 26 degrees, but I know it's coming. I will need to install the heaters the next time the tanks are empty and due for cleaning.

Oh, small thing! I have been complaining about my chickens who roost (three of them, the three Aracuanas) up on the lower part of the trusses in the barn. So three are up top, and three remain down lower, perched on their wooden door. This morning everything was very quiet when I walked up-no crowing at all. Somewhat puzzled, I looked around for the three up high-since its that rooster that makes the racket. I didn't see them in their usual place just above the stall wall and I though-for a second-oh no, they're gone! About that time I heard a faint coo, and looked way up and over my shoulder-and there they were, crammed into a small space directly under the metal roof! I swear I do not know how they managed to get up there, but they did. Goofy birds, they are not going to be happy when they get penned in, are they?

No comments: