Monday, May 11, 2009

Another sunny day :)

Here's a view of my overcrowded pantry growing set up. That is a pair of saw horses with two ten foot lengths of countertop on them-and, I had taken four flats out earlier in the day. Capacity is about 24 flats :)
















We have had over two weeks of wonderfully sunny weather, and I am loving it! It's still faily cool overnight, sometimes even with a light frost, but the days have been into the 60s. I am not complaining, and neither is anyone else. A little light rain would be nice, to knock down the dust and ash, boost the green up a little bit.





Work has started on the greenhouse, yippee!! After a lot of running around, research, and phone calls last week, I finally have the fans the greenhouse requires on order. Knowing how critical air movement is to the health of the plants, I have gone just a tad overboard on sizing-ending up with one 24 inch and a pair of 16 inch shutter fans. On the opposite end, I will have two 24 inch shutter vents, plus the pair of screen doors. This week, I will be searching for shade cloth. Or something I can use as shade cloth, whatever that might turn out to be. My ideal option would be those bamboo shades that roll up, but I haven't seen any of those for ages. I may end up with cloth right from JoAnne's fabrics instead, lol





On Mother's Day, I managed to secure the help of a family member, and got my two veggie gardens rototilled. Man, what a lot of work! But the amendments are in, and the texture is very good. I had planned on doing it myself, but ended up with a marginal knee due to the antics of the new dog. I also took a couple flats of veggies to a neighbor whose own starts weren't coming up at all for some reason-made her day and a great relief as they rely on their garden for a good portion of their yearly food supply. I still have extra flats at home, and am hopeful I will find a place for them over the next week or so.

Thinking ahead to all the work left to do at home, makes me tired of just thinking about it. But that is being an Alaskan for you-burn the candles on both ends while the weather allows :)








1 comment:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Wonderful veggies , I am looking forward to seeing Alaska , I will be on a cruise to Alaska in mid septemper , I have heard it is full of beautiful sights