Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Frost!

I may have moved into the greenhouse a few days too early. Yesterday morning it was 37 inside, and everything survived. This morning I have more like 33 and there is a light frost outside. Sun should be touching the roof now and I know temps will come up rapidly.

Did I escape disaster?

Or have I lost just about everything?

I won't know until I get home tonight. The squashes are the most delicate plants in there, if they've been frosted then the leaves will be tented and dead when I get home tonight. No sign of freeze inside the greenhouse itself of course, since I have the fans going. And no sign of icing on the water barrels either, which is a little hopeful.

It's really too bad my row cover got thrown away by accident. I will make sure I won't be dealing with this risk next spring, you can bet on that. Despite our nearly three solid weeks of sunshine, it really has not been very warm at night. In most years, I would already have everything outside, including the veggies. This year, I am very glad fate has conspired to slow down my planting!

2 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

with the moving air and the shelter ,it should be OK,fingers crossed!

suvalley said...

Well, no skim of ice on the water barrels but there was some outside in a flat :(

I checked before I left this morning, it was 36, 37 degrees so I opened the doors for the day.

Not a very happy drive into work, worrying about all my plants!