Monday, April 20, 2009

Breakup continues......


So far, it's been a relatively great breakup season. For those visiting from other parts of the world, "breakup", loosely defined in Alaska, is that period between winter and early summer. As the days lengthen rapidly and we begin seeing day time temperatures above freezing, we Alaskans know spring is surely on the way.

Of course, we have plenty of other signs-such as chickadees, pussywillow blossoms, birch limbs changing color as sap rises, and so forth. When it warms up rapidly, we have major flooding in many places-especially along rivers where ice jams will form. Breakup is the time for the Nenana Ice Classic-Alaska's well known raffle-you bet on the day and time a tripod erected on the Nenana River records when the ice "goes out"-some years, the prize is above $300,000. Proceeds are split 50/50 with the non profit running the raffle, as I recall.

Breakup is the time of repeated car washing, gallons of wiper fluid, tire change over from studs to summer treads, and squinting through smudgy windsheilds at bright early morning sun. It's the time when it's light out when you go to bed, and get up-and takes some getting used to.

A lot of extra laundry gets done during this period if you have children. They will be outside, playing in the mud and meltwater and those lucky enough to have boot dryers will be using them nonstop. Anyone can play amateur hydrologist in their own driveway, if they like. All it takes is a shovel and remembering where the run off needs to go. I do this myself every evening, to help drain low spots and puddles. I consider myself very fortunate that I don't have drainage issues right at my house or barn-some people are not so fortunate, like my new neighbor to whom we loaned a pump and hose, when we saw his garage flooding.

I still have huge piles of rotting snow along the driveway, and quite a bit remains on the lawn areas, especially in shady spots. Considering that a couple weeks ago, the snow depth was well above the seat on the picnic table, I am not complaining now that we are down to just a few inches. The driveway has not softened up to "sponge" stage yet, but I expect that any day. The ground becomes so saturated just below the surface that it will literally give beneath vehicles. And the first time we have a couple nights in a row above freezing, we'll have a mess.

My poor cats are going stir crazy also, and over the weekend they both ventured outside to explore. And both saw small birds making use of one puddle near the lawn and attempted to stalk them. Silly cats-stark white for one, and black for the other, they weren't exactly well camoflaged, lol The paddocks remain a mess, but the arena area is drying out fairly quickly. This week, now that it has dried up some, we need to strip the chicken stall.

The silly chickens are very happy to be loose, and they still come running when I call. On Saturday I got three eggs-I was astounded. One of those was a very tiny brown egg and I have no idea which hen laid it, lol, then yesterday I got a white and a blue. The white ones should be from the Yokohama (I think) so the colored ones come from the Americaunas. I think. Obviously I am no chicken expert, but I am sure enjoying the fresh eggs and watching the birds.

The snow has finally melted off the garden area, so this means I am about three weeks out from planting-depending on night time temperatures. That's good, I am up to my eyeballs in flats, over a hundred planted so far!

1 comment: