Sunday, April 12, 2009

Is it April Fools Day?


I have to tell you I wondered, because if not, the joke's on us....it has snowed most of the day here. Nothing has accumulated but I am sure the roads are going to be nasty tomorrow morning.

For the day, I planted and planted. Adding to the tally at least another 17 flats. Three of those are pumpkins and cucumbers for friends and family, and I have some sweet corn I should go ahead and plant also, now that I think about it-enough for a few 5 gallon buckets in the greenhouse. I am now officially done with broccoli, cauliflower, cabbages, brussel sprouts, cucumbers, and pumpkins.

Next up is summer squashes, zucchini and yellow. Not sure how many flats of that I will end up with, but quite a few and the plan is to start those at work, leaving the home rack full of the reserve flats I did today. I am so thankful I did not start these earlier-the varieties I chose are vigorous short season types, and I would have been repotting like crazy by now if I had started three weeks ago.

Tomorrow morning I will load up the car with cucumbers and the corn which is up. The pumpkins seem to be a little slower but that's okay, these are both under 100 days and I think the timing is just about right for them. I found some seeds I had saved back from my one pumpkin last year, and after a quick soak, they got planted as well. I have no idea if they will come up-that's an experiment but I sure wouldn't mind more Sugar Pie plants!

So until I get things shuffled off, I have no space to pot up the peppers. They will have to suffer on through crowded quarters for another day or so, I know they will really take off as soon as they have more space.

As I watched the snow sift down outside the windows, I wondered about the wisdom of planting seeds and sprouts. I think it's called faith. Faith that there will be a spring, that green will come, that life will burst forth (by Mothers' Day, thankyouverymuch) and soon we will be slapping mosquitoes and swatting bees, and beginning the summer to do list......

I can't wait :)

1 comment:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Funny ,it can change so quickly this time of year .Our snow is mostly gone , but we are not out of the woods yet.