Monday, April 6, 2009

We have mud!


What a silly thing to be excited about, but mud mud mud means breakup is at hand, woohoo! Break out the champagne, we are about done with winter!!

We are now into the spring time freeze/thaw cycle and I couldn't be happier :) Yes it means slushy roads to wallow through, and filthy vehicles, and sticky gumbo on my feet any place that isn't paved, but I am happy just the same. The majority of the arena is already plain mud, and we won't be driving around it for a while. There is still quite a bit of packed snow and ice around the barn proper, but it will start going fast once we reach the magical 40 degree mark. Yay!!

I delivered some flats to the greenhouse over the weekend, that brings the total there to 22. Started another 16 flats yesterday, and I have about 20 or so to go this week too-the seeds are carefully counted out and germinating as I type. The nice thing is, as soon as they are up, they can go to the greenhouse which has the optimum lighting and temperatures. At any rate, the big push is on, beginning this week......and for the next five weeks or so. I am amazed at how many flats I can stuff into my car though-14. Imagine that, 14 flats!! Six behind the back seat, six behind the front seats and another two up front. And here I was wishing for a mini van, lol!

The true harbringer of spring has yet to make an appearance at home yet-mosquitoes! I expect them by the coming weekend......let the slapping begin!

2 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

wE TOO ARE SEEING SIGNS OF SPRING , MUD MUD MUD!The geese are back and the weather is getting warm ! was this a really long winter ,or am I just getting old?

Cedar View Paint Horses said...

You have some hardy skeeters up there, or your warm up is rather abrupt. We've been having lows in the 20's at nite - still too cold for the toughest of the skeeters. But the redwing blackbirds and robbins have been back for a few weeks now, so spring is sure to be around the corner.