Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Green is good, right?


Not referring to some of the whacked out lefty environmental notions here, but instead, plants!

So, I have already done a total of 59 flats. That includes some that have already been delivered to the greenhouse, thank heavens. My starting racks are full and I won't have room for starting anything else until those teeny tiny babies get a couple days older....and then, off they go. Those 59 flats do not include the ten tomato plants or about three flats worth of pansies I have going at home either, haha

I think I need to do one more big plant of the main veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbages-I have done enough brussel sprouts I think) in about a week or so. And that is about the time I need to start all the squashes and the second planting of cucumbers and pumpkins. These squashes take up a lot of room, and I am planning on starting the zucchini and summer squash here at the work rack, and the pumpkins and cucumbers at home where I have more square footage under lights. My plan is to rotate out the starts to make space for each planting, which is why timing is pretty important. After the squashes comes the lettuces. A lot of lettuce, actually, because I have six or seven varieties-mostly leaf lettuce since head lettuce is a bit marginal here due to our sunlight.

I figure I am about one third of the way through this season-yikes, that is a lot of itty bitty sprouts to plant! And the ironic thing is: My own hanging baskets are still buried in a bunch of snow at home, lol!

This is the mantra of the week: Green is good, green is good, green is good!

1 comment:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Sounds wonderful, but a lot of work! I am tired just reading it!