Sunday, December 16, 2007

Aww, shit.....

Looks like the little guy has started into kidney failure :( Someone who is quite experienced went over to see the mare today. I just got off the phone with her, and here's what we think is happening....based on what she observed and I see in the pictures just emailed to me.

He is in organ failure. He is very swollen in the sheath, but was able to pass some thick, gooney urine earlier today (0bserved), but is straining both to stretch, and urinate. I could make an emergency call this afternoon, but I am 65 miles away. I know from experience that they are going to want him at the clinic to treat with antibiotics, and hydrate him with Ringers. It's a catch 22 because they can't push the fluids very fast or his heart will stop. They can't really aggressively treat the urinary problem (IF its a UTI, which is unlikely) because the antibiotics are going to be deadly too.

The gal is running over some salt, and bringing a stock tank heater. She is going to insist that the two horses get a stock tank, salt the heck out of the gelding AND the mare too, and after that, all we can do is pray they make it through the next 24 hours.

It's unlikely. I knew the moment I was told he had "a swelling down by his sheath".....UTI, organ failure, leaky gut...all are fatal in his condition. The mare is not far behind him, and unbeknown to me, he's been hogging most of the mashes. More toxins he can't flush.

He isn't even steady enough to haul to a clinic, to toss several grand at the practise.

All this, while a FAT and HEALTHY very fugly stud horse, occupies the insulated barn and best paddock.

I hate people sometimes.

1 comment:

Original L said...

Oh, MAN! I really, really hope he survives. Tough situation, but I'll pray you will know exactly what to do/not to do...